Health Design, Informatics, and Innovation Lab
To make a meaningful impact on individual health and health outcomes, researchers need to be unafraid to tackle new methodologies, collaborate with individuals with skills and talents outside of the the biomedical research complex, and embrace technology in research given that we live in a networked, connected world.
I am formally trained in clinical and health services research with a Masters in Public Health, but I also use methods of design ethnography, participatory design, human-centered design, quality improvement science, and digital/social media communications in my work. I have fantastic collaborators at large in the community as well as from multiple schools at the University of Michigan (Schools of Information, Art and Design, Computer Science & Engineering). Funding for my work comes from NIH as well as private sources. For more details, you can reference my CV. Below are highlights of current projects:
We are collaborating with members of the Nightscout community to learn about diabetes hacking, making, and innovation in the community, uses and applications of mobile technology in diabetes, and the role of social media in health communication and dissemination. We are also very interested in creating opportunities for participatory design, citizen science, and open science diabetes research. If you are interested in participating and/or following our work , please sign up for our email
- Lee JM, Hirschfeld E, Wedding J. A Patient-Designed Do-It-Yourself Mobile Technology System for Diabetes: Promise and Challenges for a New Era in Medicine. JAMA. 2016 Apr 12;315(14):1447-8. Link. Supplement Link.
- Lee JM, Newman MW, Gebremariam A, Choi P, Lewis D, Nordgren W, Costik J, Wedding J, West B, Benovich Gilby N, Hannemann C, Pasek J, Garrity A, Hirschfeld E. Real-World Use and Self-Reported Health Outcomes of a Patient-Designed Do-it-Yourself Mobile Technology System for Diabetes: Lessons for Mobile Health. Diabetes Technol Ther 2017 Feb 28. Link.
- Kaziunas E, Lindtner S, Ackerman MS and Lee JM. Lived data: Tinkering with bodies, code and care work. Human-Computer Interaction, Special Issue on The Examined Life: Personal Uses of Personal Data. (Forthcoming)
Peer-reviewed Conference Papers
- Kaziunas E, Ackerman MS, Lindtner S. and Lee JM (2017). Caring through data: Attending to the social and emotional experiences of health datafication. CSCW '17: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing February 2017. Link
- Kaziunas E, Lindtner S, Ackerman MS, and Lee JM. DIY Diabetes Technology in the Nightscout Community: An Ethnographic Study. In Proceedings for CHI '16. Workshop on DIY Health and Wellbeing. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2016.
Design of a Learning Health System for Type 1 Diabetes
With colleagues from the @T1DExchange and the @C3N Project, we are designing a learning health system for type 1 diabetes. We are working with patients, caregivers, clinicians, information technology specialists, systems design experts, quality improvement specialists, and community organizers to design and create this system. For more information about our work, please view the Storify from design meeting 1 and design meeting 2.
Data Visualization and Mobile Technology for Diabetes
We are using principles of human-centered design to understand how to create effective context-aware mobile technology systems and patient-centered personalized interactive data visualizations for individuals with type 1 diabetes (funded by an R21 from AHRQ).
Conventional and Metabolomic Biomarkers for Identifying Children with Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes
This project is funded by an NIH R01 grant to study the longitudinal performance of conventional and metabolomic biomarkers for identifying children with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes. Please see http://umichdiabetesstudy.com/ for more information about eligibility and study requirements.
Artificial/Virtual Reality for Type 1 Diabetes
We are creating a new model of diabetes education using artificial/virtual reality! Find more information about the original project here!
Kaziunas, E., Lindtner, S., Ackerman, M.S. and Lee, J.M. Lived data: Tinkering with bodies, code and care work. Human-Computer Interaction, Special Issue on The Examined Life: Personal Uses of Personal Data. In Press.
Lee JM, Newman MW, Gebremariam A, Choi P, Lewis D, Nordgren W, Costik J, Wedding J, West B, Benovich Gilby N, Hannemann C, Pasek J, Garrity A, Hirschfeld E. Real-world Use and Self-Reported Health Outcomes of a Patient-Designed Do-it-yourself Mobile Technology System for Diabetes: Lessons for Mobile Health. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2017 Feb 28. Link.
Awori J, Lee JM, A Maker Movement for Health: A New Paradigm for Health Innovation. JAMA Pediatr. 2017;171(2):107-108.
Pierce, J., Kozikowski, C., Lee, J., & Wysocki, T. (2017). Type 1 Diabetes in Very Young Children: A Model of Parent and Child Influences on Management and Outcomes. Pediatric Diabetes, Feb; 18(1):17-25. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12351PMID: 26712357.
Sauser Zachrison K, Iwashyna TJ, Gebremariam A, Hutchins M, Lee JM. Can Longitudinal Generalized Estimating Equation Models Distinguish Network Influence and Homophily? An Agent-Based Modeling Approach to Measurement Characteristics. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016 Dec; 28;16(1):174. doi: 10.1186/s12874-016-0274-4.
Liu Y, Qiaozhu M, Hanauer Da, Zheng K, Lee JM. Use of Social Media in the Diabetes Community: An Exploratory Analysis of Diabetes-Related Tweets. J Med Internet Res. In Press.
Schumacher KR, Lee JM, Pasquali SK. Social media in paediatric heart disease: professional use and opportunities to improve cardiac care. Cardiol Young. 2015 Dec;25(8):1584-9. doi 10.1017/S1047951115002292. PubMed PMID: 26675608.
Lee JM, Hirschfeld E, Wedding J. Patients Hacking Health: Promise and Challenges for a New Era in Medicine. JAMA. 2016 Apr 12;315(14):1447-8. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.1903. PMID: 27115262
Lee, JM, Wasserman R, Kaciroti N, Gebremariam A, Steffes J, Dowshen S, Harris D, Serwint J, Abney D, Smitherman L, Reiter E, Herman-Giddens, ME. Timing of puberty in overweight versus obese boys. Pediatrics. 2016 Feb 137(2):e20150164. doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-0164. Epub 2016 Jan 27.
Pierce JS, Kozikowski C, Lee JM, Wysocki T, Type 1 diabetes in very young children: a model of parent and child influences on management and outcomes. Pediatr Diabetes. 2015 Dec 29.
Schumacher K,* Lee JM. Pediatric Research 2.0: Harnessing Social Media for Child Health Research. JAMA Pediatr. Jan 1;170(1):5-6. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.2696.
Clements MA, Foster NC, Maahs DM, Schatz DA, Olson BA, Tsalikian E, Lee JM, Burt-Solorzano, Tamborlane WV, Chen V, Miller KM, Beck RW. Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) changes over time among adolescent and young adult participants in the T1D Exchange clinic registry. Pediatr Diabetes. 2015 Jul 8. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12295.
Granados A, Gebremariam A, Lee JM. Relationship Between Timing of Peak Height Velocity and Pubertal Staging in Boys and Girls. J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2015 Sep 5;7(3):235-7.
Klingensmith GJ, Connor CG, Ruedy KJ, Beck RW, Kollman C, Haro H, Wood JR, Lee JM, Willi SM, Cengiz E, Tamborlane WV; Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. Presentation of youth with type 2 diabetes in the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. Pediatr Diabetes. 2015 May 8.
Gregg B, Connor CG, Cheng P, Ruedy KJ, Beck RW, Kollman C, Schatz D, Cengiz E, Tamborlane WV, Klingensmith GJ, Lee JM; Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. C-peptide levels in pediatric type 2 diabetes in the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium T2D Clinic Registry. Pediatr Diabetes. 2015 May 5.
Gregg B, Connor CG, Ruedy KJ, Beck RW, Kollman C, Schatz D, Cengiz E, Harris B, Tamborlane WV, Klingensmith GJ, Lee JM; Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. Body mass index changes in youth in the first year after type 1 diabetes diagnosis. J Pediatr. 2015 May; 166(5):1265-1269.e1.
- Perrin AJS, Guzzetta RC, Miller KM, Foster NC, Lee A, Lee JM, Block JM, Beck RW. A web-based study of the relationship of duration of insulin pump infusion set use and fasting blood glucose level in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther In Press.
- Reis JP, Loria CM, Sidney S, Gunderson E, Rana J, Allen N, Lee JM, Lewis CE, Powell TM, Wei GS, Liu K. Excess body mass index- and waist circumference-years and incident cardiovascular disease: The CARDIA Study. Obesity. In press.
- Lee JM, Sundaram V, Sanders L, Chamberlain L, Wise P. Health care utilization and costs of publicly-insured children with diabetes in California. J Pediatr. In press.
- Asao K, McEwen L, Lee JM, Herman W. Ascertainment of outpatient visits by patients with diabetes: The National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) and the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS). J. Diabetes Complic 2015 Apr 7; doi: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2015.03.019. [Epub ahead of print]
- Granados A, Lee JM. Insulin therapy for the management of diabetic ketoacidosis: Time for a paradigm shift? JAMA Pediatr 2014 Nov 1;168(11):990-1. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.1635.
- Reis JP, Allen N, Barone-Gibbs B, Lee JM, Lewis CE, Lima J, Lloyd-Jones D, Loria CM, Powell-Wiley TM, Sharma S, Wei GS, Liu K. Association of the degree of adiposity and duration of obesity with measures of cardiac structure and function: The CARDIA Study. Obesity 2014 Nov;22(11):2434-40. doi: 10.1002/oby.20865. Epub 2014 Aug 13
- Asao K, Kaminski J, McEwen LN, Wu X, Lee JM, Herman WH. Assessing the burden of diabetes mellitus in emergency departments in the United States: The National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NHAMCS). J Diabetes Complications 2014 Sep-Oct;28(5):639-45. doi: 10.1016/j.jdiacomp.2014.02.005. Epub 2014 Feb 15.
- Watkins DJ, Téllez-Rojo MM, Ferguson KK, Lee JM, Solano-Gonzalez M, Blank-Goldenberg C, Peterson KE, Meeker JD. In utero and peripubertal exposure to phthalates and BPA in relation to female sexual maturation. Environ Res 2014 Oct;134:233-41. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2014.08.010. Epub 2014 Aug 29.
- Ferguson KK, Peterson KE, Lee JM, Mercado-Garcìa A, Blank-Goldenberg C, Téllez-Rojo MM, Meeker JD. Prenational and peripubertal phthalates and bisphenol A in relation to sex hormones and puberty in boys. Reprod Toxicol 2014 Aug;47:70-6. doi: 10.1016/j.reprotox.2014.06.002. Epub 2014 Jun 16.
- Cengiz E, Connor CG, Ruedy KJ, Beck RW, Kollman C, Klingensmith GJ, Tamborlane WV, Lee JM, Haller MJ; Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. Pediatric diabetes consortium T1D New Onset (NeOn) study: Clinical outcomes during the first year following diagnosis. Pediatr Diabetes 2014 Jun;15(4):287-93. doi: 10.10.1111/pedi.12068. Epub 2013 Aug 15.
- Lee H,* Andrew M, Gebremariam A, Lumeng JC, Lee JM. Longitudinal associations between poverty and obesity from birth through adolescence. Am J Public Health 2014 May;104(5):e70-6. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301806. Epub 2014 Mar 13.
- Singer K,* Eng D,* Lumeng CN, Gebremariam A., Lee JM. The relationship between body fat mass percentiles and inflammation in children. In press. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 May;22(5):1332-6. doi: 10.1002/oby.20710. Epub 2014 Feb 18.
- Duchin O, Marin C, Mora-Plazas M, Mendes de Leon C, Lee JM, Baylin A, Villamor E. 2014. A prospective study of body image dissatisfaction and BMI change in school-age children. Public Health Nutr 2014 Apr 4:1-7. [Epub ahead of print]. PubMed PMID: 24702970.
- Lin MH, Connor CG, Ruedy KJ, Beck RW, Kollman C, Buckingham B, Redondo MJ, Schatz D, Haro H, Lee JM, Tamborlane WV, Wood JR. Race, socioeconomic status, and treatment center are associated with insulin pump therapy in youth in the first year following diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther 2013 Nov;15(11):929-34. doi: 10.1089/dia.2013.0132. Epub 2013 Jul 19.
- Lewis RC, Meeker JD, Peterson KE, Lee JM, Cantoral A, Tellez-Rojo MM. 2013. Predictors of urinary bisphenol A and phthalate metabolite concentrations in Mexican children. Chemosphere 2013 Nov;93(10):2390-8. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2013.08.038. Epub 2013 Sep 14.
- Duchin O, Mora-Plazas M, Marin C, Mendes de Leon C, Lee JM, Baylin A, Villamor E. BMI and sociodemographic correlates of body image perception and attitudes in school-aged children. Public Health Nutr 2013 Sep 4:1-10. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24172038.
- Eng D,* Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Meeker J, Peterson K, Padmanabhan V. Bisphenol A and chronic disease risk factors in US children. Pediatrics 2013 Sep;132(3):e637-45. doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-0106. Epub 2013 Aug 19.
- Tarini BA, Herman WH, Lee JM. Effects of hypothetical type 2 diabetes genetic testing on parents' efforts to prevent diabetes in children. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2013 Sep;52(9):821-8. doi: 10.1177/0009922813488644. Epub 2013 May 14.
- Eng DS, Lee JM. The promise and peril of mobile health applications for diabetes and endocrinology. Pediatr Diabetes 2013 Jun;14(4):231-8. doi: 10.1111/pedi.12034. Epub 2013 Apr 30.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Woolford SJ, Tarini BA, Valerio MA, Bashir S, Eason AJ, Choi PY, Gurney JG. A risk score for identifying overweight adolescents with dysglycemia in primary care settings. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2013;26(5-6):477-88. doi: 10.1515/jpem-2012-0259.
- Kaminski BM, Klingensmith GJ, Beck RW, Tamborlane WV, Lee JM, Hassan K, Schatz D, Kollman C, Redondo MJ; Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. Body mass index at the time of diagnosis of autoimmune type 1 diabetes in children. J Pediatr 2013 Apr;162(4):736-40.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.09.017. Epub 2012 Oct 23.
- Wolfgram PM,* Sarrault J,* Clark SJ, Lee JM. State-to-state variability in Title V coverage for children with diabetes. J Pediatr 2013 Apr;162(4):873-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2012.12.009. Epub 2013 Jan 13.
- Lee H,* Harris KM, Lee JM. Multiple levels of social disadvantage and links to obesity in adolescence and young adulthood. J Sch Health 2013 Mar;83(3):139-49. doi: 10.1111/josh.12009.
- Lee JM, Eason A, Nelson C, Kazzi NG, Cowan AE, Tarini BA. Screening practices for identifying type 2 diabetes in adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2013 Feb;54(2):139-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.07.003. Epub 2013 Aug 20.
- Lee JM, Villamor E. Tackling childhood overweight and obesity: Thresholds and beyond. JAMA Pediatr 2013 Jan;167(1):87-8. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2013.426.
- Wu E,* Kazzi N, Lee JM. Cost-effectiveness of screening strategies for identifying pediatric diabetes and dysglycemia. JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Jan;167(1):32-9. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2013.419.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Vijan S, Gurney JG. Excess body mass index years, a measure of degree and duration of excess weight, and risk for incident diabetes. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2012 Jan;166(1):42-8. doi: 10.1001/archpedi.166.1.42.
- Antonucci T, Ashton-Miller JA, Brandt J, Falk EB, Halter JB, Hamdemir L, Konrath SH, Lee JM, McCullough WR, Persad CC, Seydel R, Smith J, Webster NJ. The right to move: A multidisciplinary lifespan conceptual framework. Curr Gerontol Geriatr Res 2012;2012:873937. doi: 873937, doi:10.1155/2012/873937.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Wu E, LaRose J, Gurney JG. Evaluation of nonfasting tests to screen for childhood and adolescent dysglycemia. Diabetes Care 2011 Dec;34(12):2597-602. doi: 10.2337/dc11-0827. Epub 2011 Sep 27.
- Lee JM, Rhee K, O'Grady MJ, Basu A, Winn A, John P, Meltzer DO, Kollman C, Laffel LM, Lawrence JM, Tamborlane WV, Wysocki T, Xing D, Huang ES. Health utilities for children and adults with type 1 diabetes. Med Care 2011 Oct;49(10):924-31.
- Lee JM, Lee H. Obesity reduction within a generation: The dual roles of prevention and treatment. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2011 Oct;19(10):2107-10. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.199. Epub 2011 Jun 30.
- Tansey M, Laffel L, Cheng J, Beck R, Coffey J, Huang E, Kollman C, Lawrence J, Lee J, Ruedy K, Tamborlane W, Wysocki T, Xing D; on behalf of Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. Satisfaction with continuous glucose monitoring in adults and youths with type 1 diabetes. Diabet Med 2011 Sep;28(9):1118-1122.
- Kim C, Sen A, Osborne E, Lee JM, Richardson CR. Associations between glucose tolerance and sex hormone binding globulin among women with recent gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011 Sep;93(3):e110-2. Epub 2011 Jun 28.
- Lee JM, Wu E, Herman WH, Tarini BA, Yoon E. Diagnosis of diabetes using hemoglobin A1c: Should recommendations in adults be extrapolated to adolescents? J Pediatr 2011 Jun;158(6):947-52.e1-3. Epub 2010 Dec 30.
- Kotlyarevska K,* Wolfgram P,* Lee JM. Is waist circumference a better predictor of insulin resistance than body mass index in US adolescents? J Adolesc Health 2011 Sep;49(3):330-3. Epub 2011 May 4.
- Kim C, Gebremariam A, Iwashyna TJ, Dalton VK, Lee JM. Longitudinal influences of friends and parents upon unprotected vaginal intercourse in adolescents. Contraception 2011 Feb;83(2):138-44. Epub 2010 Aug 23.
- Lee JM, Davis MM, Gebremariam A, Kim C. Age and sex differences in hospitalizations associated with diabetes. J Womens Health (Larchmt) 2010 Nov;19(11):2033-42. Epub 2010 Oct 12.
- The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation CGM Study Group, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group, Beck RW, Lawrence JM, Laffel L, Wysocki T, Xing D, Huang ES, Ives B, Kollman C, Lee JM, Ruedy KJ, Tamborlane WV. Quality of life measures in children and adults with type 1 diabetes: The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring randomized trial. Diabetes Care 2010 Oct;33(10):2175-7. Epub 2010 Aug 9.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. Validation of measures of satisfaction with and impact of continuous and conventional glucose monitoring. Diabetes Technol Ther 2010 Sept;12(9): 679-684. [Lee listed as study author]
- Pediatric Diabetes Consortium. The pediatric diabetes consortium: Improving care of children with type 1 diabetes through collaborative research. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2010 Sept;12(9):685-8. [Lee listed as study author]
- Nafiu OO, Burke C, Lee JM, Voepel-Lewis T, Malviya S, Tremper Kevin. Neck circumference as a screening measure for identifying children with high body mass index. Pediatrics 2010 Aug;126(2):e306-10. Epub 2010 Jul 5.
- Huang ES, O'Grady M, Basu A, Winn A, John P, Lee JM, Meltzer D, Kollman C, Laffel L, Tamborlane W, Weinzimer S, Wysocki T; The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. The cost-effectiveness of continuous glucose monitoring in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010 Jun;33(6):1269-1274. Epub 2010 Mar 23.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. Variation of interstitial glucose measurements assessed by continuous glucose monitors in healthy, non-diabetic individuals. Diabetes Care 2010 Jun;33(6):1297-9. Epub 2010 Mar 9. [Lee listed as study author]
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. Prolonged nocturnal hypoglycemia is common during 12 Months of continuous glucose monitoring in children and adults with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2010 May;33(5):1004-8. Epub 2010 Mar 3. [Lee listed as study author]
- Lee JM, Lim S, Zoellner J, Burt BA, Sandretto AM, Sohn W, Ismail AI. Don’t children grow out of their obesity? Weight transitions in early childhood. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2010 May;49(5):466-9. Epub 2010 Jan 28.
- Lee JM, Pilli S, Gebremariam A, Keirns CC, Davis MM, Vijan S, Freed GL, Herman WH, Gurney JG. Getting heavier, younger: Birth cohort effects on obesity over the life course. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010 Apr;34(4):614-23. Epub 2009 Dec 1.
- Lee JM, Kaciroti N, Appugliese D, Corwyn RF, Bradley RH, Lumeng JC. Body mass index and timing of pubertal initiation in boys. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2010;164(2):139-44.
- Lee JM, Woolford SJ, Herman WH, Clark SJ. Does childhood overweight, parental perception of overweight, or family history of diabetes mellitus increase parental perception of type 2 diabetes risk for their child? J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2010 Mar;23(3):267-70.
- Lee JM, Appugliese D, Coleman SM, Kaciroti N, Corwyn RF, Bradley RH, Sandberg DE, Lumeng JC. Short stature in a population-based cohort: Social, emotional, and behavioral functioning. Pediatrics 2009;124:903-10. Epub 2009 Aug 17.
- Thomas IH, Saini NK, Adhikari A, Lee JM, Kasa-vubu, JK, Vazquez DM, Menon RK, Chen M, Fajans SS. Neonatal diabetes mellitus with pancreatic agenesis in an infant with homozygous IPF-1 Pro63fsX60 mutation. Pediatr Diabetes 2009;10:492-6. Epub 2009 Jun 3.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. The effect of continuous glucose monitoring in well-controlled type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2009 Aug;32(8):1378-83. Epub 2009 May 8. [Lee listed as study author]
- Lim S, Zoellner JM, Lee JM, Burt BA, Sandretto AM, Sohn W, Ismail AI, Lepkowski JM. Obesity and sugar-sweetened beverages in African-American preschool children: a longitudinal study. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2009;17(6):1262-8. Epub 2009 Feb 5.
- Lee JM, Davis MM, Woolford SJ, Gurney JG. Waist circumference percentile thresholds for identifying adolescents with insulin resistance in clinical practice. Pediatr Diabetes 2009;10(5):336-42. Epub 2008 Oct 19.
- Lee JM, Gebremariam A, Card-Higginson P, Shaw JL, Thompson, JW, Davis MM. Poor performance of body mass index as a marker for hypercholesterolemia in children and adolescents. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009;163(8):716-23.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Continuous Glucose Monitoring Study Group. Continuous glucose monitoring and intensive treatment of type 1 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2008;359:1464-76. Epub 2008 Sep 8. [Lee listed as study author]
- JDRF CGM Study Group. JDRF randomized clinical trial to assess the efficacy of real-time continuous glucose monitoring in the management of type 1 diabetes: research design and methods. Diabetes Technol Ther 2008 Aug;10(4):310-21.
- Lee JM, Davis MM, Menon RK, Freed GL. Geographic distribution of childhood diabetes and obesity relative to the supply of pediatric endocrinologists in the United States. J Pediatr 2008;152(3):331-6. Epub 2007 Nov 5.
- Lee JM. Why young adults hold the key to assessing the obesity epidemic in children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2008;162(7):682-687.
- Lee JM, Smith JR, Philipp BL, Chen TC, Mathieu J, Holick MF. Vitamin D deficiency in a healthy group of mothers and newborn infants. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2007;46(1):42-44.
- Lee JM, Davis MM, Clark SJ, Kemper AR. Threshold of evaluation for short stature in a pediatric endocrine clinic: differences between boys versus girls? J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 2007;20(1):21-26.
- Lee JM, Appugliese D, Kaciroti N, Corwyn RF, Bradley RH, Lumeng JC. Weight status in young girls and the onset of puberty. Pediatrics 2007;119:624-630.
- Lee JM, Okumura MJ, Freed GL, Menon RK, Davis MM. Trends in hospitalizations for diabetes among children and young adults: United States, 1993-2004. Diabetes Care 2007;30:3035-3039.
- Lee JM, Herman WH, McPheeters ML, Gurney JG. An epidemiologic profile of children with diabetes in the United States. Diabetes Care 2006;29(2):420-421.
- Lee JM, Davis MM, Clark SJ, Hofer TP, Kemper AR. Estimated cost-effectiveness of growth hormone therapy for idiopathic short stature. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2006;160:263-269.
- Gurney JG, Ness KK, Sibley SD, O’Leary M, Dengel DR, Lee JM, Youngren NM, Glasser SP, Baker KS. Metabolic syndrome and growth hormone deficiency in adult survivors of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer 2006;107(6):1303-1312.
- Lee JM, Howell JD. Tall girls: The social shaping of a medical therapy. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2006;160:1035-1039.
- Lee JM, Okumura MJ, Davis MM, Herman WH, Gurney JG. Prevalence and determinants of insulin resistance among U.S. adolescents: A population based study. Diabetes Care 2006;29:2427-2432.
- Lee JM, Menon RK. Molecular defects in the growth hormone-IGF axis; Recent advances. Indian J Pediatr 2005;72(2):145-148.
- Aziz PF, Lee J, Cabana MD. An inappropriate diet. Clin Pediatr (Phila) 2005;44:735-7.
- Lee JM, Menon RK. Issues and practices surrounding growth hormone for short children without a hormone deficiency. Contemp Pediatr 2005;22(10):46-53
- Lee JM, Sundel RP, Liang MG. Fibroblastic rheumatism: Case report and review of the literature. Pediatr Dermatol 2002;19(6):532-5.
- Lee JM, Greenes DS. Biphasic anaphylactic reactions in pediatrics. Pediatrics 2000;106(4):762.
- Larson S, Luiggi H, Lee JM. Penn Med Language Link. Acad Med 1999: 74(5)