Research with the Nightscout/CGM in the Cloud Community
We are working with patients and caregivers from the CGM in the Cloud Community and the Nightscout Foundation to create opportunities for participatory design, citizen science, and open science diabetes research. Sign up for our mailing list if you are interested in participating as a patient or caregiver with type 1 diabetes, and/or if you want to hear more about research!
If you are attending the Children with Diabetes Meeting in Orlando in July 2017, please join us for a participatory design workshop focused on T1D research. This interactive session is for adults with type 1 diabetes and/or adult caregivers interested in research. Workshop participants will:
- Learn about the Nightscout Data Commons and how you can donate your diabetes data for research
- Explore topics and outcomes of interest to be studied using Nightscout data
Attendees will receive a $25 gift card for their participation. Space is limited; please register online at https://goo.gl/forms/czWomrDoYjTUdxU93 by June 23!
- Lee JM, Hirschfeld E, Wedding J. A Patient-Designed Do-It-Yourself Mobile Technology System for Diabetes: Promise and Challenges for a New Era in Medicine. JAMA. 2016 Apr 12;315(14):1447-8. Link. Supplement Link.
- Lee JM, Newman MW, Gebremariam A, Choi P, Lewis D, Nordgren W, Costik J, Wedding J, West B, Benovich Gilby N, Hannemann C, Pasek J, Garrity A, Hirschfeld E. Real-World Use and Self-Reported Health Outcomes of a Patient-Designed Do-it-Yourself Mobile Technology System for Diabetes: Lessons for Mobile Health. Diabetes Technol Ther 2017 Feb 28. Link.
- Kaziunas E, Lindtner S, Ackerman MS and Lee JM. Lived data: Tinkering with bodies, code and care work. Human-Computer Interaction, Special Issue on The Examined Life: Personal Uses of Personal Data. (Forthcoming)
Peer-reviewed Conference Papers
- Kaziunas E, Ackerman MS, Lindtner S. and Lee JM (2017). Caring through data: Attending to the social and emotional experiences of health datafication. CSCW '17: Proceedings of the 2017 ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing February 2017. Link
- Kaziunas E, Lindtner S, Ackerman MS, and Lee JM. DIY Diabetes Technology in the Nightscout Community: An Ethnographic Study. In Proceedings for CHI '16. Workshop on DIY Health and Wellbeing. Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2016.
More information about Nightscout and CGM in the Cloud below:
- Nightscout website: http://www.nightscout.info/
- You can read more about the evolution of the project in the Wall Street Journal, Citizens Hackers Concoct Upgrades for Medical Devices and the New York Times, A Do-It-Yourself Revolution in Diabetes Care.
- For a more detailed history of how it came about, read this blogpost by Kerri Sparling, We Are Not Waiting: CGM in the Cloud (Part 1).
- Read more about the mission of the Nightscout Foundation.
- John Costik: We #MakeHealth Fest 2014 Keynote
- James Wedding: We #MakeHealth Fest 2015 Nightscout Symposium
- Ken Stack: We #MakeHealth Fest 2015 Nightscout Symposium
- Weston Nordgren: We #MakeHealth Fest 2015 Nightscout Symposium
- Nate Heintzman: We #MakeHealth Fest 2015 Nightscout Symposium
- Joyce Lee: Nightscout Research 2015 Quantified Self Public Health Symposium